«I N R E C E N T Y E A R S there has been, on the part of many types of public-service organizations, a growing awareness of the importance of good ...»
might well be published as the first step in providing such information. Sccoi~dly,the inauguration of a co~nprehcnsiveprogram of research in this field of activity is loilg overdue. It is particularly i n ~ portaxit, for example, that the potentialities of the individual media be stuclied and evaluated with respect to their applicability in given situations. These measures sliould g;o far in providing the body of knowledge needed by those who are responsible for public relations activities in college and university libraries.
ReferencesI. Nadig, H. D.: City Tells Its Story, in each issue of American City, 1947 to date.
2. Businrss Is Still in Trouble. Fortunc, 39367-71+, 1Iay, 1949.
3. Lyle, G. R., et al.: Administration of the College Library. Ed. 2, rev. New York, H. !I1. FTilson, 1939, pp. 487-535.
4. Tenlplc, P. L.: Library and Public Relations, in blartin, Brother D., ed.:
Catholic Library Practice. (University of Portland hliscellaneous Publications No. 7 ) Portland, Ore., University of Portland Press, 1950, Vol. 11, pp. 209-230.
5. Watkins, D. R.: Public Relations Possible Througll College and Library Publications. Catholic Library World, 19:91-04, Dcc. 1947.
6. Bauer, H. C.: Ever).boclv's Business. Librciry Jo~ontil, 77:90-93, Jan. 15, 1952.
7. Ostvolcl, H.: Pltblic Relations in a Cnivcrsity Library. Jlisrouri Library Asci~ciutiot~)uut./erly, 10:20-25, 1Iarch 1949.
8. Parkrr, H.: Selling t l ~ eLibrary to the Lnivcmity. Jlissouri Library Association Quurtcrly, 11:47-51, Jtunc 19.30.
9. Orr, R. \V.: A FLWAspects of College Library Service. College and Resccirch Libruric.5, 8::340-;345,July 1937.
10. Russell, J. D., et al.: College Library Report. A.L.A. Bulletin, 30:216April 1936.
11. Stone, Elizabeth 0.:Annual Report of the College Librarian. School and Society, 6,5:469-472, June 28, 1947.
12. Fay, Lucy E.: College Library Reports. Library Journal, 59:189-192, hlarch 1, 1934.
10. Newark, New Jersey, Public Library: Power of Print; Report of the Library,
194245. Newark, The Library, 1946.
14. Shugart, P. L.: Elephant Bell. Pacific Northwest Library Association Quarterly, 13: 127-129, July 1949.
15. Crosby, A. J.: Fourtjeen-Karat Shoes for Librarians. Wilson Library Bulletin, 22:524-525+, larch 1948.
16. Ivlarcus, W. E.: Public Relations and Annual Reports. Wilson Library Bulletin, 22:526-527, hIarch 1948.
17. Orr, R. W., and Carlson, W. H.: Report of Surcey of Library of Texas A. and Af. College, October 1949-February 1950. ( Mimeographed. ) College Station, Texas A. and AI. College, 1950, p. 75.
I: 134 I Public Relations for College and University Libraries 18, hletcalf, K. D., and Clift, D. H.: Report of Survey of Uniuersit!l of Minnesota Library. Chicago, American Librdry Association, 1949, pp. 15-16.
19. Wilson, L. R.: University Library Survey: Its Results. Collcge and Research Libraries, 83368-375, July 1947.
20. Wilson, L. R., et al.: Report of Surcey of Unizlersity of Georgia Library...
Septetnbcr-Decenlber, 1938... Cllicago, American Lil~riiryAssociation, 1939.
21. Reagan, Agnes L.: College Library Exhibits. College and Research Libraries, 5:246-258, June 1944.
22. Jones, J. L.: Library Services in Land-Grant Colleges Teaching Agriculture.
College and Research Libraries, 13:41-43, Jan. 1952.
23. College Library Film. A.L.A. Bulletill, 30:899, Sept. 1936.
24. University Library Film. Illinois Librarie.~,24:37, hlarch 1942.
25. Krahn, F. A,, compiler: Educational Film Guide. 1951 Ed. New York, H. W. Wilson, 1951, p. 241.
26. Lyle, G. R.: College Library Publicity. (Useful Reference Series No. 51.) Boston, F. W. Faxon, 1935, pp. 103-113.
27. Orr, R. W. : Unpublished data based on questionnaire circulated Dec.
28. Kirkpatrick, L. H.: Library on the Air; University of Utah. College and Research Libraries, 8:36-37, Jan. 1947.
29. VanMale, J. E.: Library on the Air; University of South Carolina. College and Research Libraries, 8:37-38, Jan. 1947.
30. Branscomb, L. C.: University of Illinois Library Programs; the Radio Program. College and Research Libraries, 8:422-423, Oct. 1947.
31. Orr, R. W.: Radio Programs for Land-Grant College and University Libraries. College and Research Libraries, 8:234-238, July 1947.
32. Curtis, Alberta: Listeners Appraise College Station; Station W O I, Ioua State College, Ames, Iowa. Washington, D.C., published by the Federal Radio Education Committee with the Cooperation of the U.S. Office of Education, Federal Security Agency, 1940, pp. 15-26.
33. Lyle, op. cit., ref. 3, p. 533.
34. OR, R. W. : Libraries and Educational Television. A.L.A. Bulletin, 45:282Sept. 1951.
35. American Library Association Audio-visual Board, Television Committee:
First Report: Libraries and Educational Television. ( Mimeographed) Ames, Iowa, The Committee, 1951.
36. Joint Committee on Educational Television: TV Channels for Education;
Statement of the Needs and Potentialities of Educational Television. Washington, D.C., National Education Association Department of Audio-Visual Instruction, 1951.